Information Sessions for Prospective Applicants
Recognizing that many prospective applicants have questions about the M.S.W. program, the GCSW offers a series of information sessions during the year. Interested persons can register for an information session or call (713) 743-8075 for information about dates and times.
For priority consideration and Advanced Standing, all materials must be postmarked no later than February 1st. Applications will continue to be received through March 31st if space is available. Application packages that are incomplete on or after May 1st will not be reviewed.
Due to the sequential nature of graduate professional education in social work, full program students may begin their studies only in the Fall semester. Applicants holding a BSW (Bachelor of Social Work) degree can be considered for admission in the Fall or Spring.
For Advanced Standing only, materials must be postmarked no later than October 1st.
Admissions Requirements and Necessary Documentation
To be considered for admission to the M.S.W. Program, applicants must:
- Hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university. The undergraduate education must reflect a sound liberal arts foundation, including courses in the humanities, as well as in the social, behavioral, and biological sciences. You must submit official academic transcripts showing the date the degree was awarded.
- Have achieved a grade point average of 3.0 or better. (4.0 scale) for the last 60 hours of academic course work. We will calculate your GPA based on your transcripts.
- Submit a Graduate Record Exam (GRE) score. You must have official test scores sent directly to the school. Test scores should not be more than five years old. The University of Houston's institutional code for the GRE is 6870, and the social work code is 5001. For information about the GRE, call 1-866-473-4373 or go to their website at www.ets.org. You may apply without scores, but must submit them prior to enrollment in the program, no later than May 1st.
- Submit three letters of recommendation from persons who can address your ability and potential for graduate education and professional social work practice (i.e., former professors, employment supervisors, professional colleagues). If you graduated from college within the last 5 years, one recommendation from a professor or instructor is required. If you are applying for Advanced Standing, one of your three recommendations must be from your faculty advisor or chairperson of your B.S.W. Program. For all applicants: if more than one of the three recommendations is personal, the file will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed. At least two references should be academic or professional. Applicants must use the form provided by the UH GCSW Office of Admissions, available on our MSW Application Checklist page.
- Submit a personal narrative statement that describes your interest in social work, your career goals specific and your commitment to social and economic justice. Specific instructions for the narrative statement are provided on the MSW Application Checklist page.
Persons who hold a nonimmigrant type visa have additional application requirements. Please refer to the University of Houston's information for International Applicants.
A nonrefundable $60.00 application fee, payable by check or money order must accompany your application. Any application received after March 31st is a late application; a non-refundable additional late fee of $50.00 will be charged.
Note: Proficiency in English. Any student, prior to admission or during their course of study, may be required to demonstrate English proficiency through submission of a satisfactory score on a test designated by the associate dean of the college. Students whose written or spoken English skills appear to be marginal (i.e., they may impede academic success and/or reflect communication problems as a social work practitioner) may be required to seek instruction outside the college.
Admissions Mailing Address
All correspondence and admissions materials should be sent to this address.
UH Graduate College of Social Work
110HA Social Work Building
Houston, Texas 77204-4013
Telephone: (713) 743-8130
Fax: (713) 743-8149
Application Fee Waivers
Teach for America
University of Houston Graduate College of Social Work supports the Teach for America program and waives the application fee of $60 for current or former Teach for America teachers. If a TFA applicant is admitted to the GCSW, they also receive the possibility for a deferral, on admission and any scholarships they receive. Requests will be considered from admits who begin their participation in Teach for America in the year in which they are scheduled to begin the MSW program.
To receive the application fee waiver, include a letter indicating that you are a Teach for America member or alumnus/ae and include your mailing address and email address.
University of Houston Graduate College of Social Work also offers application fee waivers for McNair Scholars applying to the MSW program. To receive the application fee waiver, please include a verification letter along with your application to the MSW Admissions Office.